Thursday, April 25, 2013

The One Funny Polack Joke

Dear Treasured Reader:

When I was eleven years old I heard my very first polack joke from a fellow public school prodigy. It was something to the effect of why they do not eat M&M’s. Being a naïve and sheltered lad I inquired, “what’s a ‘polack’?” My query was dismissed with “it’s a stupid person. DUH!” I must admit, many of those jokes were quite humorous.

For the twenty years following, I understood polacks to be dimwitted Caucasians, because I could relate.

Eventually, I discovered “polack” was an insult for a Polish person. I had not had any exposure to any Poles therefore I could not comprehend how being Polish would make a person stupid by default. It was unrealistic to think such would try to peel an M&M candy or attempt to pour two quarts of water into a Kool-Aid packet. The jokes were no longer humorous to me; not because they were rude ethnic slurs, but rather because Polish people don’t appear stupid. 

I tried sharing this epiphany with my partner, Harry. Mind you, although Harry is a well-educated man, with dozen-plus years of university to his credit, English is not his first language. Occasionally, I need to explain cultural differences or elaborate on phases he has heard. I mentioned to Harry when I first heard a polack jokes I had no idea what a polack was. He inquired, “a polack? Isn’t that a dinner party where everyone brings food to share?” 

I love a good malapropism, and this one was a gem. The next time we are invited to attend a polack, I’ll prepare pierogis stuffed with sauerkraut and kiełbasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment